When tragedy strikes it’s difficult to know what to do, especially when it comes to comforting children. Director of Clinical Services Dan Arnold prepared this short guide to parenting after a tragedy. If you need additional guidance or support we’re here to help. Call 770-677-9474 or jfcsatl.org/counseling.
· Have your own support system and self-care practice
· Encourage your kids to feel their feeling & share your own – give permission to feel and validate those feelings
· Turn off the media coverage and monitor online activity
· Start a dialogue but modify the conversation based on your child’s developmental readiness
· Don’t make promises that you can’t keep
· Establish (maintain) rituals that promote safety and security
· Allow your children to ask questions
· Be honest
· Check back in
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and Atlanta Jewish Connector assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.